Thursday, January 19, 2012

Nobody's Coming to My Turkey Curry Birthday Buffet and It's Okay

My Birthday is in two hours.  My 32nd birthday.  For a while I was trying to come up with a Bridget Jones’ Diary themed day, but couldn’t come up with much besides watching Fatal Attraction and drinking vodka, then listening to some Celine Dion/Chaka Khan.  If you didn’t know, Bridget spends most of the year as a 32 year old single during the course of the movie.  The best I could come up with was hosting a dinner party like she did on her birthday (though technically her 33rd) and cook for my closest friends here.  The trouble with that is that all of my friends are either busy or aren’t quite sure they can come.  But the fact that this makes me feel like a loser also draws my attention to the counter-fact that every birthday I’ve ever had has been with friends.  And a good bunch of them at that!  I’m luckier in that respect I guess.

So at this moment I am sipping a good scotch while under  a blanket (it’s 6 degrees out there!) and thinking maybe tomorrow won’t be so bad after all.

This brings me to my next thought.  A few years ago I stopped complaining about getting older.  I feel like this way of thinking about age is taught to us by our society.  We should lie about our age, we should worry that we’re starting to look old.  But for some reason I started thinking about people who die young.  They would love to be turning 32 and would see extended life as a gift.  It is terribly selfish to be mourning the addition of another year to your age!  I’m lucky to be 32!  I’ll be lucky to be 40 too!!!  Sure I have all the fears that single people get to have about getting older (babies?  Thinning pool of never-divorced men?) but I have to remind myself that this is not all that life is about.  Maybe I should be reminding some of my family members about that too.  Life!  When you get older there’s just more to love!!!   

*Also small datingsite update: A man named Angel emailed me.  Seems nice, looks a bit crazy.  But the main problem of course is his name.  If you know mine you know what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment