Saturday, January 7, 2012

Recurring Wifeyness

I'm not a wife.  Never have been.  But this fact does not stop my coworkers from thinking that I am married.  I've heard this more now that I'm older with the reasoning of "You just act like a wife" (today's gem), "You just seem very sure of yourself, like you know who you are" (how nice, though from a lady) and "Well I'd be married if I was your age" (I may or may not have strangled that boy with my arthritic hands).

Oh how I long for the days of my youth when men with girlfriends used to tell me that "You're the kind of girl guys marry"!  I heard that at least twice.  Isn't that so nice?  Isn't that so weird in light of my current situation?  Even if it was code for guys won't date you because you're not a "loose woman", but they'll marry you once they've had they're fun- those guys should have had their fun by their mid thirties right?  But the real problem with that is why I would want a guy who'd been "spreading it all over town"?  Ick.

Nope, I'm going to end up with someone as dopey and wistfully hopeful as me.  Who's been waiting to commit to the right girl but is finding the selection so far to be most unacceptable.  Or a widow.  Those are my options.  

No comments:

Post a Comment